Bio of the Month Ponce de Leon
BIOGRAPHY®: PONCE DE LEON
- Why was Ponce de Leon considered a real life Don Quixote?
- Who were the conquistadors? What three words would you use to describe them?
- What is significant about the year 1492? Why was it considered the "window of opportunity" for Spanish explorers?
- How did religion motivate the explorers to conquer new lands?
- What happened to the native population within just a few years after the arrival of the conquistadores? How would you describe the treatment of the native people Ponce de Leon and his men encountered?
- How did Ponce de Leon profit from the labors of the natives?
- Why was obtaining a royal coat of arms so important to Ponce de Leon?
- What is the legend of the Fountain of Youth? Do you believe it exists?
- What is significant of de Leon's the discovery of the Gulf Stream?
- What is the origin of Florida's name?
- How did Ponce de Leon's exhibition to Florida open up the New World to Spanish conquest?
- How would you describe the legacy of Ponce de Leon?
- Exploration and settlement of the Caribbean and in the Florida took place long before colonies were established in Jamestown and Plymouth. Make an illustrated timeline of the Age of Exploration from the 1490s through the 1620s.
- Imagine you are an explorer like Ponce de Leon embarking on a cross-ocean journey for the first time. Write a 1-2 page diary entry detailing your experiences on your voyage, as well as your impressions of new lands upon arrival. Combine your journal passage with those of your classmates to create a diary of exploration and adventure.
- Ponce de Leon traveled far and wide across the globe in his quest for fame and fortune. Using the library or Internet resources, illustrate an authentic map of Ponce de Leon's journeys, including the historic names of the islands and states he settled. Display your map with those of your classmates in a gallery dedicated to Ponce de Leon's explorations.
- Ponce de Leon was just one of many explorers who led expeditions to the New World. Online or at the library, chose another explorer and create a mini-biography of 1-2 pages. These biographies can also be in a format such as PowerPoint or on poster-board.